Stay tuned for:

Monday, August 30, 2010

Sweet

Yesterday at GRACE Bible Church I watched a few people, young and old, be baptized in a feeding trough. Funny as it sounds, and I'm not sure that everyone approves, but it is just a reminder to me to strip everything down to the foundation when it comes to my faith. There has been so much added to the rites, rituals, and traditions (like baptism) of Christianity that often people are so caught up with having something "done right" that they forget why it's being done at all. One woman admitted on her "God story" that was previously recorded and played on the big screen that she had been saved and lived a Christian life as a child, strayed away, and came back to CHRIST. Not to religion or a church or a feeling, but to a committed relationship to follow Jesus. And her baptism that day, in the feeding trough, was a public statement of that committment. Isn't that what it's about? Does it matter if her baptistry was lined in gold, brass, silver, find woods, or even in its own spot behind the pulpit? There was water, there was a proclamation of faith, and there was a dunking. I loved it.

I'm really starting to love La Vernia. Not that I didn't like it at first and now it's growing on me; but I thought at first, I will like this place, and now I LOVE it. Small town, amazing people in church and outside the church that we've met so far, close proximity to everything, and a group of students in whom I see so much potential. It is overwhelming and sweet and scary and time-consuming and frustrating and awesome and funny and I could go on. This is the life of ministry that I live with Aaron day in and day out and I wouldn't change it.

Also, There is a possibility for a couple of long term substitute jobs in 1st and 3rd grade in a dual-language school in San Antonio. I am excited for the experience, for the contacts, and for friends who are already looking out for me and thinking of me in so many ways! I am blessed!

And, finally, just to wrap all this randomness up, I found my camera yesterday. It had dead batteries for who knows how long, so putting fresh ones in, I was amazed at some of the last pictures I took before it died. Sounds silly and cliche, but it's kind of a reminiscing of our life before we moved, some great memories, and now I have a fresh start to see what memories we will make in our new home. CAN'T WAIT!

1 comment:

Cowboy Collins said...

Elizabeth,
We love having you and Aaron here with us in La Vernia. After Josh left, we were worried that we wouldn't have someone to "fill his shoes". Well sweets, the Lord has provided and done so abundantly. You and your family are a blessing to Grace and we are a better church and community for having ya'll here.
Having the bible on CD is a great idea. I commute, like you, an hour and a half to two hours round trip, everyday and it is a bleesing to hear the word the entire way. It has made a difference in not only my life, but that of my patients and co workers. Having that alone time with the Lord helps me to be a better leader, one who leads by example of Gods word and teachings rather than an iron fist. His love and caring for one another comes through so much clearer when I take myself out of the picture. Anyhow, we love that you have blessed us with your family here and are looking forward to growing with your family as friends and through Christ
~Cowboy Collins
(P.S. it's a water trough, haha)