Stay tuned for:

Monday, March 16, 2009

The Old Testament - one beautiful story

I teach the Senior High girls Bible study on Sunday mornings. I'd like to say how proud I am of them for winning the 4 week challenge yesterday...the only group to get all 5 of their questions right from the last 4 weeks of study! (I actually made the questions hard too!)

I think that this study of the Old Testament we are covering is just as much for me as it is for them. It has truly opened my eyes and given me a new love and appreciation for the beautiful story of the Old Testament. One thing I've tried to get them to see is how each of the people we are studying is connected. We started with Abraham, Jacob, Joseph, and Moses. Next week's study will cover Joshua and Caleb...You see God's promise to Abraham and how He tested A's faith by waiting until he and his wife were wayyy old to give them their promised heir, Isaac. How often, though, do we think like Abraham that God needs our help in fulfilling His promise (e.g. Abraham and Sarah having a child through the maidservant, Hagar). Then, the story of Jacob and Esau (Isaac's sons) continues the story of God's covenant to make Abraham the father of many nations. Jacob's name is changed to Israel after he wrestles with God, and from him come the 12 tribes of Israel. One of those sons, Joseph, is badly mistreated by his brothers, but we see God's hand on him as he establishes good standing in Egypt, setting up the stage for the Israelites to move into Egypt. They are oppressed there for more than 400 years...and God raises up the slow-to-speak Moses to liberate them from their slavery. God calls Moses to lead the people back into the Promised Land that is "flowing with milk and honey." God wants the very best for His people, but they are filled with fear as they see the size of the inhabitants of Canaan. Next week, we are going to see how God punishes His people for doubting His power to make them more than conquerers in Canaan. Two people, Joshua and Caleb, are rewarded for their faith and their willingness to take a stand for their God.

One verse in particular stands out to me, and it is from Joseph in Genesis 45: 5 when he finally reveals to his brothers who he is. "Do not be distressed and do not be angry with yourselves for sekling me here, because it was to save lives that God sent me ahead of you."

I think that's the last thing I'd want to say to my brothers who had sold me into slavery years ago. It brings up a point from the Esther study by Beth Moore in Chapter 4 verse 14 where Mordecai tells Esther that God has appointed her to her position "for such a time as this." It's important to remember that God is weaving together our story into his-story(history) just as He was doing in the lives of Joseph and Esther, as well as the rest of Israel.

Wherever you are, in whatever situation, even though you may not understand just yet, God has appointed you for such a time as this. Be faithful!

No comments: